Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Gas blast obliterates bungalow after metal thieves steal copper piping… but house next door (and the couple in it) remain INTACT, Cambridgeshire

This was the scene of devastation after a gas explosion obliterated a bungalow - but left a neighbouring property untouched.

The force of the blast, caused by an ignited leak after thieves stole copper pipes, blew off the roof and sent the front door hurtling 70ft into the air.

Luckily, no one was in the housing association-owned property in Leverington, Cambridgeshire when it exploded at 1am this morning.

Ian Gowler and Mavis Shailes, who live next door and slept yards from the explosion, survived unscathed and – incredibly – their house was barely scratched by the blast.

It sent glass showering across the front garden and left 2ft long shards embedded in a nearby silver car.

Police believe the explosion was caused after metal thieves pinched copper piping from the property on Saturday night causing a gas leak.

Insp Robin Sissons, of Cambridgeshire Police, said: ‘This incident shows how dangerous stealing copper pipes from homes can be.

‘This caused an explosion which obliterated the house and it is only sheer luck that the offender responsible, or the people living nearby, was not killed or seriously injured. Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...